Regan Solmo

SR_OOT_Bio Regan Solmo is the managing editor of W Magazine, one of Conde Nast’s most notable publications. Prior to her role at W she was the managing editor of Lucky and Harper’s Bazaar. She is also actively involved with the New York Women’s Foundation.

What are the three most important characteristics of a woman leader?
Any leader, male or female: straightforwardness, fearlessness, kindness.

When do you feel at your best?
When I’m highly focused on what I’m doing, but also calm of mind.

What did you do in your first year after College?
I worked at a small trade magazine called Successful Meetings, for people who plan meetings and conventions. It wasn’t the most glamorous of titles, but I started as an Associate Editor and was allowed to write cover stories and edit my own section, and eventually was groomed to be a Managing Editor. I also met my husband and a very dear friend there, so all in all it was a terrific first experience.

What does it mean to be a “successful” woman?

What challenges do you think women in publishing face today?
The challenges facing everyone in publishing are the same: where are we going and is anyone going to read print in 20 years?? I don’t think women in publishing face any particular gender-based challenges—it’s a fairly female-friendly industry, and there are a lot of role models of varying styles. (Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington, Tina Brown, Arianna Huffington, etc.)

What was your biggest mistake?
Being too wound up; not listening enough.

What do you do when you need a moment?
Take a quick walk, or call one of my friends for a laugh. (or both!)

Give yourself a compliment.
I’m very aware of the need to project an example of strong female leadership to the junior women on staff. I think they’re happy with what they see.

If you could give “the college you” one piece of advice what would it be?
Relax! And eat more protein.